Course Author: Rev. Lori Erwin-Johnson, MS Psy., DD
This course, Interspirituality I – Introduction to Interfaith Spiritual Direction, orients the students as they navigate a world with a variety of religious belief systems. According to the Pew Research Center’s Global Religious Landscape (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site., there are approximately 5.8 billion people in the world who affiliate with a specific religious orientation. In addition, in 2010, there were 1 in 6 individuals who did not affiliate with any religion at all; therefore, creating their own demographic of religious "nones". This course will examine different faith traditions and require the student to expand their understanding through self-reflection and study.
This class requires you to purchase the following book:
Show Me Your Way: The Complete Guide to Exploring Interfaith Spiritual Direction by Howard A. Addison ISBN 978-1893361416
This course is divided into Course Resources and four modules. Each module contains the following coursework:
- Required reading
- 2 Discussion questions (DQ)
- Gain an understanding of the beliefs of other individuals
- Learn how to use interfaith communication effectively
- Overcome barriers to interfaith spiritual care and guidance
- Types of religious belief systems
- Stories as Metaphor
- The "Spiritual Supermarket"
- What is spiritual care and direction?
- Looking beyond your own faith.
- How to be a good guide.
- What is discernment?
- Contemporary spiritual needs.
- Meeting with a spiritual care guide.
- What next?
Interspirituality I - Introduction to Interfaith Spiritual Care
Number of Credits Towards a Degree at SCA University of Theology and Spirituality - 5