Course Author: Brian Hughes, BCC
This course, More than Listening: Communication Skills, begins by looking at both definitions and theories of communication, in order to better understand the many variables that impact effective communication. Topics include active listening skills, the impact nonverbal communication has on face to face interactions, and group communication, its stages, roles, and norms. Emphasis will be on better understanding our own tendencies in communication, as well as understanding how these communication tendencies work for or against us in different situations. Strategies for resolving interpersonal conflict, and techniques for effectively negotiating with patients, families, and staff will be identified. Also addressed will be participation in Family Physician Conferences, and steps to enhance goal clarification and advanced care planning with patients, families, and staff.
By the end of this course the learner will be able to:
- Understand effective listening habits and skills and a systematic method of listening behavior.
- Define and describe effective verbal communication practices and skills.
- Define and describe effected non-verbal communication practices and skills.
- Identify the principles of effective group communication and various roles and norms in a group communication process.
- Identify conflict resolution strategies and develop a personal, constructive approach to dealing with conflict situations.
- Understand and describe the concept of negotiation when working with patients, families, and staff.
- Summarize steps involved in communication to enhance goal clarification.
- Introduction to Communication
- Communication and Miscommunication Concepts
- Understand effective listening habits and skills and a systematic method of listening behavior
- Nonverbal Communication
- Group Communication
- Conflict Resolution & Negotiation
- Communication to enhance goal clarification
Powerful Communication Techniques
Number of Credits Towards a Degree at SCA University of Theology and Spirituality - 5